2) Guide for International graduates

Those who graduated from a university in an overseas country need to follow the procedures outlined below to acquire a license by taking the national examinations in Korea

  1. Physician, Dentist, Oriental Medical doctor
  2. Health professionals including Pharmacist and Nurse
󰋫 Procedure for overseas university recognition review

○ International graduates who wish to take the national examination in Korea must be eligible to do so.

○ The overseas university recognition review is conducted to assess the eligibility of the international graduates to take the examination. If their schools are "recognized" in the review, the applicants will be eligible to take the examination, whereas if the result is "non-recognized", they will not be eligible to take the examination.

○ The notice of the overseas university review is made every February. Candidates should submit an application by the end of May. The review takes place around June or July.

○ Only those who graduated from an overseas university with a major in the related field of study (medicine, nursing and others) and have acquired a license (renewed and valid) issued from the country they have acquired the degree in may apply for the review.

○ Documents to be submitted for the application of the review

  1. Application form for overseas university recognition review
  2. A copy of the license (must be renewed and valid)
  3. A copy of college diploma or graduation certificate
  4. Score transcript (in the case of a transfer, must include score transcripts from all previous universities)
  5. Curriculum
  6. Syllabus - documents including educational goals, learning contents, and teaching time of courses completed for the major
  7. School regulations - must include provisions regarding admission, transfer, graduation and approval of credits
  8. School prospectus - must include the current status on the full-time lecturer, faculty, and facilities for clinical skill(or practical skill) training, etc.
  9. Certificate of Entry and Exit Records - may be issued from the immigration office in Korea or community centers
  10. Agreement to Collection, Use, and Provision to Third Party of Personal Information
  11. Other documents that attest to the eligibility to take the examination

※ Documents mentioned in above ②~④ need to be confirmed by Apostille (for countries that signed onto the Apostille convention) and then translated into the Korean language and notarized before submitting
  • Apostille certification: This confirms that the document was issued in the certifying country. Please contact the administrative organization responsible for foreign affairs in the country regarding the procedures.
  • For countries that are not signatories to the Apostille convention, the documents need to be verified by a consul in the diplomatic mission of the applicable country in Korea (an embassy or consulate), and translated into the Korean language and verified before being submitted.
※ Documents in ⑤~⑧ need to be translated into the Korean language and then notarized before they are submitted.
□ Additional documents to be submitted for the subject of the Korean language when you apply for the preliminary examination (written test) (only applicable to physicians, dentists and oriental medical doctors)
  • Applicants who have acquired eligibility to take the preliminary examination after their university was recognized in the overseas university recognition review, must submit a certificate proving that they have passed the Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK) as well as submitting an application form. It is necessary to prepare for the Test of Proficiency in Korean in advance.
  • An acceptable certificate from Korean proficiency test is Korean Proficiency Test (TOPIK) Grade 5 or higher that is valid on the day of the first test conducted by National Institute for International Education.
※ However, those who graduated from a middle school and high school whose classes were conducted in the Korean language in Korea referred to in the Elementary and Secondary Education Act are exempted from the subject of the Korean language with the submission of their graduation certificate.